Administrator, Downtown Edmonton Community League
(Part-Time, 24 month contract)
The Downtown Edmonton Community League (DECL) has an opportunity to hire a part-time Administrator to join our diverse and passionate team!
This is a brand-new role, so our successful candidate with have ample opportunity to make it their own while actively contributing to the betterment of our Downtown Edmonton community.
What you’ll do:
While no two days or weeks will be exactly the same, a typical day or week might include work such as:
- Attending, and actively contributing to, monthly DECL Board meetings and other meetings and conversations related to DECL community involvement
- Managing communications for DECL including:
- designing and maintaining the website
- writing and distributing the monthly email newsletter
- responding to general email box inquiries
- managing social media accounts as requested
- Contributing to community events and programming including:
- securing venues and supplies
- communicating with related parties
- ensuring appropriate licenses and permits are in place
- promoting activities
- volunteering on event days
- Speak positively of the league and assist in developing and maintaining positive relations among the board, committees and communities to enhance the league’s mission.
- Managing the DECL leased space including supervising during programming, pre- and post-event cleaning and appropriately managing maintenance issues as necessary, including but not limited to:
- Overseeing access to the community hall
- Supervising building maintenance and repair
- Managing rental to members and non-members (screens and approves renting groups or individuals)
- Regularly reviewing condition of facilities
- Maintaining up-to-date building maintenance records.
- Advising league on necessary maintenance and upgrades.
- Obtaining estimates for maintenance, repair and upgrade work.
- Monitoring city council meetings and motions for items related to downtown vibrancy and development and communicate any necessary action to appropriate Board member(s)
- Strategizing and collaborating with the Board to extend DECL’s reach to groups that are currently less involved than they would ideally be (e.g., newcomers, seniors, students)
- Actively help build league capacity by identifying and applying for grant and funding opportunities
- Active involvement with events, meetings, communications and other matters related to the Downtown Vibrancy Strategy
- Advocating for projects that improve Downtown, including identifying new opportunities, representing DECL at meetings or events if required, supporting the creation and distribution of requests and responses to requests for input from the Board
- Promoting volunteerism at events, on the website and in communications
- Participate in the development of the league’s organizational plan, annual review and budget.
- Prepare and present required reports at board meetings.
- Assist in the preparation of any/all reports as requested, including monthly and annual reporting
- Additional and variable administrative support of the DECL Board as requested
Skills and experience that support success
- Strong communication and relationship-building skills, using both oral and written communication
- Exceptional organizational, prioritization and follow-up skills
- Tact, diplomacy and the proven ability to handle sensitive or confidential information appropriately
- Confidence to approach other community group leaders, local businesses, vendors etc in the spirit of building mutually beneficial relationships
- Experience with planning and executing events, both with and without external partners/vendors, is an asset but not mandatory
- Personal connection to the Downtown Edmonton community coupled with a strong desire to support and facilitate post-Covid recovery and additional enhancements/improvements over time
- Part-time, average 20-25 hours per week
- 24-month contract
- Competitive annual salary based on experience ($30,000—$37,500)
Contract Posting Closing Date: March 7, 2023 at 5:00 p.m. MST
Anticipated Start Date: Negotiable
Please send your cover letter and application to:
NOTE: We thank all applicants for their interest however only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.