This week is our second edition of ‘Yegdt Notes’. Thanks to positive response we got to starting up this regular feature!
- ‘comFORT‘ pop-up tents ends today with their last location of the week on the 101 Street pedway connecting to Edmonton City Centre. We congratulate Safira Lakhani and Tara McCashin on their creativity and ingenuity with their project, getting people engaged about imagining the possibilities of our downtown public spaces. The ‘I <3 Yegdt’ stencils on their tent were a nice touch!
- The new issue of the 4th Street Promenade Newsletter was released yesterday
- Also, December 4 is Customer Appreciation Day on 104 Street. Your favourite local 4th Street businesses have teamed up to give us all some great deals – be sure to check it out!
- DECL board member Sharon Yeo gives positive reviews to this past Saturday’s Christmas on the Square Holiday Light Up.
- Maclab releases their idea for a new civic office tower, perched on the edge of the river valley downtown. It is described to include ‘an outdoor amphitheater, “young people want to take their wedding pictures here.”
- We forgot to mention last week that the draft Civic Precinct Master Plan has been released for Sir Winston Churchill Square and area. A survey is available online until November 30 to get thoughts and feedback. We like what we’ve seen so far: better wayfinding between amenities, more trees, closure of 99 St. But as Ian points out, “don’t block the view of City Hall from the Square with trees.”
- SE to West LRT Drop-In Sessions continue tonight at West End Christian Reformed Church.
- Proposed amendments to the zoning bylaw for RF5 to RA9 up have been released with very little notice, some zones receiving increased height and density. This is all an effort to complete the Growth Coordination Strategy for the entire city. But with very little review or general understanding of the impacts, how can the citizens of Edmonton embrace it?
- StartUp Edmonton released their vision for ‘The StartUp City Project‘ for the Warehouse Campus Area.
- The Downtown Business Association continues to look for volunteers for their Jingle-On Santa Clause Parade on December 2
- Calgary’s Craft Beer Market makes a big statement on Rice Howard Way.
- We are working hard on putting the details together for our annual DECL Christmas Mixer, Thursday, December 13 at 7 pm. Stay tuned!
If you have a downtown event or news item you think our members should know about, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org!