Welcome to our first ‘Yegdt Notes’. We hope to post pertinent news and events of downtown for our membership and Edmontonians on a regular basis.
- DECL secured a small Community Infrastructure Improvement Fund (CIIF) grant from the federal government! This will provide about half of the required funds to renovate our new 103 Street retail space. Details to come as this new space becomes reality!
- We are proud to sponsor ‘comFORT‘ pop-up tents this Saturday, November 17 at Churchill Square. comFORT won Peter Kageyama’s $500 Challenge “with an idea to make their city a more livable, loveable place.”
- Also this Saturday is the DBA’s Christmas on the Square Holiday Light Up. A great event for kids, in conjunction with the weekly City Market at City Hall.
- Several new eating and drinking establishments have opened downtown in the last few weeks, including De Dutch in the Cambridge Building, and Underground Tap & Grill – both on Jasper Avenue. De Dutch specializes in brunch (much needed downtown!), and Underground Tap & Grill features over 72 beers on tap, including most of Edmonton’s local breweries.
- The WinterCity Strategy was launched on the 4th Street Promenade on October 18. It has received mixed reviews, but DECL has been supportive of the initiative, with DECL board member Ian O’Donnell helping with direct feedback as part of the steering committee.
- SE to West LRT Drop-in Sessions continue November 14, 5-8 pm. at MacEwan University.
- Updated options for the new SE to West LRT bridge over the North Saskatchewan River at Louise McKinney Park have been released. It will replace the existing pedestrian bridge to Cloverdale but will still include a new multi-use trail corridor.
- Mack Male makes the case for continued planning to improve transit connections between downtown and Old Strathcona.
- Mute flute sculpture is gone from the corner of Jasper Avenue and 109 Street. Did you ever hear it whistle?
- Mark your calendars – the DECL Christmas Mixer is Thursday, December 13 at 7 pm. Details to be announced soon!
If you have a downtown event or news item you think our members should know about, please contact us at email@example.com!